Liberty City LGBT Democratic Club was founded in the Fall of 1994 by activists who wanted to build political power for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community through involvement within the Democratic Party. The following goals of Liberty City remain the primary objectives of the organization:
- Register, educate and mobilize lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) voters.
- Elect openly LGBT candidates for public and party office.
- Support LGBT-friendly candidates and work to oust anti-gay office holders.
- Promote legislative issues of importance to the LGBT community.
- Provide a forum for LGBT voters to meet candidates and officeholders.
Despite being an all volunteer organization, Liberty City has worked hard to gain a reputation accross Pennsylvania as a well organized and effective political organization.
Liberty City is governed by a board of directors consisting of between 9 and 15 elected members of the organization. We are committed to a diverse board that reflects the Philadelphia LGBT population at large.
Our organization adopted the most recent iteration of our by-laws after a lengthy review process in 2006. The resulting document was ratified by the General Membership on January 25, 2007.
Liberty City LGBT Democratic Club is a Political Action Committee required to disclose our contributions and expenditures in the form of regular periodic campaign finance reports. In the spirit of opennes and transparency, we provide our campaign finance reports on our website for the public to view.